Each year, thousands of homeowners experience a fire in their home. Here are a few tips to make sure you and your family stay safe.
- Test smoke alarms at least once a month by pushing the test button. This is a quick and easy step!
- Replace smoke alarms every ten years or replace alarms if they do not sound when tested. For the best protection, install interconnected smoke alarms. When one alarm sounds -- they all sound.
- Install a detector in every bedroom, outside each separate sleeping area, and on every floor of the home. (This includes the basement too!)
- When the alarm sounds, have a predetermined meeting spot to know that everyone is out safely.
- Call the fire department from your cell phone or a neighbor’s home. Do not go back inside!
Typically, changing the clock for daylight savings is a good time to check batteries in smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors. Carbon monoxide detectors are just as important to keep up. Make sure when checking one, to check both. Let’s help keep our friends and families safe year-round by remembering these lifesaving tips!